VITENSKAPSTEORI - THEORY OF SCIENCE - PHD – NIH (5 credits/studiepoeng)
The course gives an introduction to the theory of science with a particular emphasis on sport science. Students’ PhD projects will be used as examples and practical cases. Students are assessed based on an individual essay to be submitted after the course.
Students shall be able to
- reflect upon and discuss questions in the theory and ethics of science in general and in sport science in particular
- discuss in a critical and systematic way their own PhD projects from the perspective of the theory and ethics of science
The course consists of 5 days of intensive work with a combination of introductory lectures, group discussions and student presentations
An individual essay in which the student’s PhD project is discussed from the perspective of the theory and/or ethics of science.
Length of essay: maximum 2000 words excluding references.
Students are entitled to 20 minutes individual supervision based on a draft of their essay.
Loland, S. (ed.) Theory of science PhD 2014.
Kompendium, NSSS 2014.
McNamee, M. (ed.): Philosophy and the Sciences of Exercise, Health and Sport: Critical Perspectives on Research Methods.
London: Routledge 2005.
Benton, T. and Craib, C.: Philosophy of Social Science. The Philosophical Foundations of Social Thought.
London: Palgrave Macmillan 2011, pp. 13-75.
Further choice of literature will vary between students depending on the nature of their PhD projects. Relevant texts will be found in dialogue with the course teachers.
Working sessions will be from 915-12 and from 13-15.
- Introduction – presentations
- Perspectives of the theory and ethics of science
- The nature and particular challenges of sport science
- Brief presentations of students’ PhD projects
Sources von Wright – Kompendium
McNamee pp. 1-20
- Scientific approaches - paradigms
- Approaches in sport science – limitations and possibilities
- Student presentations: My PhD project in the context of scientific paradigms
Sources Benton and Craig pp. 13-75
McNamee, relevant articles depending on students’ projects
Kompendium: von Wright
- Searching for knowledge of sport in depth and width
- Disciplinary, multi-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary sport research – limitations and possibilities
- Student presentations: My PhD project from the perspective of knowledge in depth and width
Sources McNamee, relevant articles depending on students’ projects
- Ethics of science and research
- Background and content of normative schemes of science and research
- Ethical challenges in sport science and research
- Student presentations: My PhD project from the perspective of research ethics
Sources Kompendium: McNamee et al, Forskningsetiske komiteer
- Essay seminar
- Students present ideas of their essay topic and discuss with the group
- Conclusions and course evaluation