Study Permit (Visa)

All students from outside the Scandinavian countries, staying more than three months, has to apply for a study permit through the Norwegian Immigration Office, UDI. Follow the given guidelines at

EU/ EEA/ Swiss citizens

Citizens from the EU/EEA and Switzerland has to apply for a study permit and register with the police if staying in Norway for more than three months.

How to register with the police

Please submit an online registration on the UDI application portal. You can register online from your home country or you can wait until after arrival in Norway. Upon arrival in Norway you need to submit copies of certain documents to the police in order to receive a registration certificate.

You need to bring the following documents to the police:

  • Letter of admission 
  • Passport or national ID card
  • European Health Insurance Card or proof of other private health insurance coverage
  • Self-declaration on sufficient funding

Where and when to register with the police

You will have to book an appointment with the police in order to submit copies of your documents. An appointment can be booked while registering online (choose Oslo, Service Centre for foreign workers).

The address for the office is Schweigaardsgate 17, Oslo (Skatt Øst).

Non-EU/ EEA/ Swiss citizens

All students from outside the EU/EEA-area are advised to apply for a study permit. Citizens under the Norwegian visa regulations are required to apply for a visa and residence permit before entering Norway. Please note that students who enter Norway without the necessary permit will not be allowed to remain in the country.

Students from visa waiving countries must apply for residence permit if they are going to stay in Norway for more than 3 months. Canadian students should apply through the Danish embassy in Ottawa, or they can apply in Norway upon arrival.

Students who need to apply for visa or residence permit must submit the application as soon as possible after receiving the Letter of Admission from NIH.

How to apply

Please submit an online registration on the UDI application portal if you are applying through the Norwegian Embassy. Due to a Nordic representation agreement, the Danish Embassy handles all applications for visa and residence permits for Norway from Canada. Hence, Canadian students cannot use the application portal, but are asked to follow the instructions on the Danish Embassy´s website.

NIH´s organization number is: 971526033

How to register with the police

As a non-EU/EEA/Swiss student, you will have to make an appointment and register with the police within 7 days after your arrival in Norway. Please make an appointment with the Police on the UDI application portal. Choose Oslo Police District, Department of Immigration, when setting up the appointment. You might get a date that is after your 7 days, do not worry, as long as you booked a date you are ok. 

Please note that if you have applied for a residence permit from home through a non-Norwegian Embassy (i.e. Canadian students applying through the Danish embassy), you cannot book the appointment through the application portal. You still need an appointment, which you can get by calling +47 22 34 21 00, during their opening hours: Monday to Friday 09:00 - 13:00.

The address for the registration is Schweigaards gate 15b.

Please note that you need to bring certain documents to the appointments. You will be informed by the embassy or the self service portal/police which documents are necessary.

Documentation of financing

Students from outside the EU/ EEA/ Switzerland applying for a student residence permit to Norway, need to show documentation of financing in order to be granted the permit/visa. The amount required by the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration corresponds to the amount of full support from the Norwegian State Education Loan Fund.

  • NOK 111 657 for one year
  • NOK 55 829 for one semester

Students need to present documentation of subsistence when applying for a student residence permit. Student loans, grants, own funds, or income from employment can be included.

Contact us

International Office