In order to live and work in Norway, you need either a visitor's visa or a residence permit unless you are a Norwegian citizen. To register, please use the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) Application Portal

As soon as you've received your contract of employment from NIH, you need to register with Norwegian authorities. (If you are a guest researcher without formal employment, you will need an Employment certificate?)

Registration certificate & Residence permit for work

EU/EEA nationals are entitled to work, study and live in Norway. If you are an EU/EEA national and intend to live in Norway for more than 3 months, you must register with the police. Please follow the instruction of the Registration Scheme for EU/EEA nationals of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.

  • If your intended stay in Norway is less than 90 days, you do not need to apply for a residence permit.
  • However, depending on your nationality, you might need a visitor's visa to enter Norway. Check if this applies to you and how to proceed on the webpage Want to apply to visit Norway ( of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI).
  • Please note that an application for a visitor's visa must be supported by a written invitation by your host unit at the University of Oslo.

Most people from countries outside the EU/EEA must apply for a visito

  •  Registration certificate and Residence permit for work
  • Tax deducation card
  • Norwegian Identification number or Temporary ID-number (D-number)
  • Health insurance
  • Electronic ID
  • Digital mailbox

The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration